Our Favourite Chocolate Cake
July 10, 2010
|Our Favourite Chocolate Cake||
Recipe Type: Dessert
- the cake
- 115 grams plain flour
- 50 grams cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- teaspoon pinch of salt
- 6 teaspoon eggs
- 225 grams caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons good vanilla essence
- 115 grams unsalted melted butter
- the chocolate icing
- 115 grams plain chocolate chopped
- 40 grams unsalted butter
- 2 grams eggs separated
- 125 millilitres whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- the topping
- 175 grams plain chocolate chopped
- 115 grams unsalted butter
- grams a few squares melted white chocolate
Make the cake:
- Prehaeat the oven to 180c or gas 4. Line three 8 inch round tins with greaseproof paper, grease the paper and dust with flour. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together three times.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a heatproof bowl, set over a pan of simmering water. Beat until double in volume, about ten minutes. Take off the heat. Add the vanilla. Fold in the flour mixture in three batches, then add the melted butter.
- Divide mixture between the three tins. Bake until the cakes pull away from the sides about 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Make the icing
- Melt the chocolate on top of a double boiler. Off the heat, stir in the butter and egg yokes. Return to the heat and stir until thick.
- Whip the cream until firm. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Add the sugar and beat until glossy. Fold in the whipped cream, then the egg whites, into the chocolate mixture. Chill for about 20 minutes, then sandwich together the cake with the chilled chocolate mixture.
Make the chocolate topping
- Place the butter and chocolate in a saucepan and heat very gently, stirring constantly until melted. Place a large sheet of greaseproof paper under the wire rack to catch any drips. Pour the chocolate topping over the cake, allowing the topping to coat the top and sides of the cake. Leave to set for at least one hour.
- Decorate top with white chocolate shavings or drizzle melted white chocolate around the edges.
Use good quality dark chocolate.
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe