South African Shepherd’s Pie
July 10, 2010
|South African Shepherd’s Pie||
Recipe Type: Main
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 675 grams miced lamb
- 2 tablespoons medium curry paste
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons chopped, blanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 75 grams creamed coconut-crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and ground black pepper1
- Preheat the over to 180c/Gas 4. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the chopped onion for 5-6 minutes, until softened but not browned.
- Add the lamb and cook over a moderate heat, turning frequently, until browned all over. Stir in the lemon juice, chutney, almonds, curry paste and sultanas, season well with salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to an oven proof dish and cook in the oven, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile dissolve the crumbled creamed coconut in 200mls boiling water and cool slightly. Beat in the eggs and a little seasoning.
- Remove the dish from the oven and pour the coconut custard over the meat mixture. Lay the bay leaves on top and return the dish to the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is set and golden.
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe